Catechist Certification Information
Requirements for Catechist Certification
- A completed Catechist Certification Application Form;
- A signed Catechist Oath of Fidelity; and
- 50 hours of verified course work (transcripts required with a final grade of 80%+)
in the following areas:
- 10 hours of study in Catechetical Ministry Training
- 10 hours of study of the Creed
- 10 hours of study of the Sacraments
- 10 hours of study of the Moral Life
- 10 hours of study of Prayer and Tradition
The Diocese has partnered with three local apostolates that offer Catechist Certification courses for Arlington catechists:
- Catholic Distance University
- Catholic Education Center
- Institute of Catholic Culture
The Franciscan University of Steubenville Catechetical Institute also offers courses which may be used towards Catechist Recertification, so long as the coursework is verified and meets the requirements noted above.
Catechist Certification may be attained using coursework from more than one apostolate.
- Catechist Certification must be renewed every three years with an additional 10 hours of study in any area noted above.
- Renewal hours may include diocesan-approved seminars and workshops, as well as the Diocesan Catechetical Conference. Renewal hours may not include homilies or days of recollection. Verification of training is required.
- Those with an expired Catechist Certification must demonstrate they have satisfied the Catechist Certification requirements (above) after 2008, plus an additional 10 hours of study in any area noted above to renew their Catechist Certification. Otherwise, they may re-apply for Catechist Certification.
- Those who have a current Catechist Certification may either renew their certification or work towards Specialized Catechist Certification.